mogrel 88 1.6 fuel pump issue (long)

I stripped a 88 16v  (motor,brakes,m/cyl,rear axle,trans) to upgrade my 80S
and made a deal to sell the 88 with all the old parts swapped in.My neighbor
needed a cheap second car.Anyway its all ready to run exept that the fuel
pump on the 88 wants a signal from the knock sensor that isnt
there.According to the bentley for the 80, this wire(the one that switches
the fuel pump relay) would go to the negative side of the coil.When I try
this on the 88,it makes the relay click with the disteibuter pulses(like the
tach.)If your still with me, how do I send the appropriate signals to the
fuel pump relay with no knock sensor? Do I have to wire in the relay from
the 80 (fuse on top) or is there another way? thank you, Robert