2.0L 8v - Pistons?

After finally disassembling the 2.0L bottom end in the GRM project
car, we unfortunately discovered why the Scirocco had been running so
poorly.  #2 piston was broken between rings 1 and 2 - ring #2 had
shattered!!  This would probably explain all the blowby <G>

In any case, I have a line on 2.0L pistons from a '96 Jetta but don't
know if they'll fit the 3A block.  I'm new to the "swap and chop"
concept as most of my prior experience comes from building "legal"
SCCA racecars.

The only other option (at the moment) is to use a 1.8L GTi bottom end
that we have sitting around but I'd prefer the torque of the 2.0L.

Anyone?

=====
Matthew