Re: clutch problems persist

On Sat, 08 Sep 2001 18:57:50 -0700 "Joe Doty" <rocco2nr@hotmail.com>
writes:
> As you may or may not recall, I was having problems with the clutch
> not completely disengaging.  The car will not go into gear at all when
> the engine is running and the clutch is in.
>
> I got an adjustable clutch cable from the junkyard because I wanted
> to see if that would fix my problem.  Well, it didnt.  I had it
adjusted so
> far up that the arm was hitting the transmission mount.  But the clutch

> still didnt catch until way far out in the pedal travel (when I put it
in gear
> and started the car up).
>
> I have the 5th gear cover off right now and I'm looking at the
> throwout bearing, and it looks okay...(???) Could the problem be here
still?
> I had also pulled the transmission and looked at all the clutch stuff
and
> it looked okay.  Could the thrust plate be bent in or something?
>
> Stock 16v pressure plate, clutchnet dual fiber disc, 4K with .71 5th
> gear from kraftswerk, everything with less than 10k miles.  All soaking

> in redline MTL.  No rude clutch dumps, I ALWAYS took it super easy on
> the shifts.
>
> Help?
>
> thanks
> Joe

Pull the flywheel and inspect the thrust plate...

Getty's 16V had a hole in it, from the clutch push rod being up against
it.
One more reason why I hate auto adjust cables...

Inspect the clutch pushrod too, if it machined a hole in the thrust
plate, you'll probably need to replace it also..

Btw, new manual clutch cables are under $20...

HTH!!!
Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Discount Techtonics, Autotech-Quaife
USA, Ronal, Motorworks, Magnecor & Peloquin Dealer -  Bear, DE 19701

'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI  - SciRollers: '79 White, '84 Black, '88 Red -
http://www.neojedi.com/feedbyte/topTen.php