Re: [Re: Differences between 8v and 16v] [Intake on the wrong side]

> When catalytic converters became mandatory in Germany in the late 80's
> VW had to change the cams of the 16V to a more moderate version
> to protect the cat from getting too much unburned fuel .
> That is the main difference from the PL to the earlier KR engine.
> Due to the more moderate intake cam, the 50mm intake was
> rather useless and even had a loss of torque at lower RPM.
> So it was replaced again by the smaller 40mm intake.
> The max. HP figure of the PL engine was corrected down from 139 PS to 129 PS then.

Oh, crap! I just had Andy Holmes in England send me a "euro intake cam"
(still waiting for it to arrive) from an '88 Jetta 16V. I don't know
whether it came from a KR or a PL. I didn't know there was a difference -
I just assumed the term "euro" intake cam was specific enough to mean the
more radical factory cam. Does this mean that I just threw away a bunch of
money on a cam identical to the one already in my US engine??

What terrific luck... GRRR!!

-Toby

--
'87 16v