8V mechanical head (JH) porting question

Anyone done a port matching job to an 8V solid lifter
head (from a JH 83 Scirocco)?

I am doing one right now, and I have a question. As
far as the Intake ports go, you do not have to cut
that much aluminium to get the ports to match the
gaskets (basically only the top 1/16" portion of the
Intake ports need to get removed, 1 1/2" deep into the
ports).

But, for the Exhaust ports, it seems that I would need
to cut 1/8" all around to get the port to match the
gasket. And if you go 1" to 1 1/2" deep to really do a
good job, I was wondering if I would cut through
something and wreck the head... I know that the
Exhaust ports are not as critical as the Intake ports,
but if I can do a really good job, then why not.

FYI ==> http://www.sa-motorsports.com

Thanks.

Marc
'83 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco Slegato (my winter beater, 127 Slegatos
out of 292 000 Sciroccos)