Re: Need help diagnosing a problem <long>

"L. M. Lloyd" wrote:

> My '88 16v is stalling intermittently, and I am at a loss for the
> problem. If anyone can offer an opinion, it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> There are a few things going on with the car right now, and I do not
> know for sure if they are related or not, but I thought I should
> mention them all in case one of them might indicate the problem.
>
> The most notable problem is that the car will just die occasionally,
> especially in hard braking, or hard turns. <snip>

This sounds like your fuel pick tube is either soft and is bending when
the gas in the tank sloshes And/OR debris in the tank in sliding around
w/ the same result.

I have an A2 GLI with the same problem. I think it is causing wear on
the in-tank pump too because it's lessened on cold days & esp with a
full tank.

> As a reminder, the car sat, not moving at all, for three years, so
> anything related to a soft part, or a part prone to corrosion, is a
> very likely option.
<snip>
> Anyone have any ideas?

HTH,