Need help diagnosing a problem <long>

My '88 16v is stalling intermittently, and I am at a loss for the
problem. If anyone can offer an opinion, it would be greatly
appreciated.

There are a few things going on with the car right now, and I do not
know for sure if they are related or not, but I thought I should
mention them all in case one of them might indicate the problem.

The most notable problem is that the car will just die occasionally,
especially in hard braking, or hard turns. It almost always happens
while either turning hard or braking hard, but it has also happened
twice while shifting during hard acceleration up a hill. Then today
it stalled twice while driving in stop and go traffic, and tried to
die during hard acceleration <not while shifting> on the freeway.

When the car does die, it takes no more than a turn of the key, or
popping the clutch (if still in motion) for it to rev right back up,
and run like nothing happened.

Also, when accelerating, I get a wicked shimmy in the exhaust
downpipe when in third gear starting at about 3200rpm and fading away
by about 3700rpm. I have no idea if this is related to the stalls,
but thought I should mention it. I had been righting off this shimmy
to the fact that I was having problems with my exhaust, but once I
got under the car, I saw that the hole in my downpipe was where the
mounting bracket had broken off, so now I think that the shimmy might
be what caused the hole to begin with.

In the probably unrelated category, my fuel gauge sender unit seems
to be bad as well. Therefore, I can not comment on exactly how much
gas is in the car while all of this is happening, but it should not
be less than a 1/4 of a tank.

As a reminder, the car sat, not moving at all, for three years, so
anything related to a soft part, or a part prone to corrosion, is a
very likely option.

As far as remedies tried, I have made sure that the battery is
secured, and made sure that the terminals are tight. The car just
recently got a new distributor, and the oil level is good with fresh
oil. I have ordered a new fuel filter, but it has not come in yet, so
I do not yet know if that is contributing to the problem, but will
soon.

Anyone have any ideas?

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.