Re: what now?

Well, the head has to come off to fix whatever's wrong, so don't
speculate too much now.  The wet test was probably not required since
there's something so catastrophically and obviously wrong.  Besides the
wet test is normally done on all four as a wear check.

It's not a valve seal problem since the seals don't determine
compression.

My guess is still the headgasket but that don't mean shite right now.
Your job is to yank the head!  Things will become obvious as you dig
into this.  Please keep us posted.

Ron

--- Paul Maione <paulmaione@videotron.ca> wrote:
> hey everyone.
>
> alright, so my car is off the road, and i'm
> working on getting the dirt rocco moving
> again. that's ANOTHER project all together.
> :)
>
> i did a compression test tonight and this
> is what i came up with...
>
> cyl no 1 - 160 psi
> cyl no 2 - 10 psi
> cyl no 3 - 180 psi
> cyl no 4 - 190 psi
>
> yikes. that no good for no.2.
>
> i did a wet test with that cylinder and it
> went up like 20 psi. what's that to tell me?
> the valve seals are no good? i think maybe a
> spring broke or something and a valve is stuck
> open.
>
> that seems like a bad head. i know usually if the numbers
> go up, that means the rings are bad, but it really didn't
> go up that much higher, which is leading me to think
> it's a bad head. i just wanna make sure because if i don't
> have to touch the bottom end, then i might as well just
> leave it. less work and less aggrivation.
>
> thanks
>
> paul
> 87' scirocco16v

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

Stupid is as stupid does.
-F. Gump