8v timing.... cabriolet

Ok... so I'm working on this chick's car from work.
The cam timing appears to be 4 teeth off but it runs
ok despite having no balls.  So I retime the cam
timing making well and sure to keep the
crank,intermediateshaft, distributor, and flywheel
mark in one place.  I put it all back tight and the
mutha doesn't run at all.  Is a cabby timed
differently than any other 8v?  Thanks in advance.
-ps.. I've done this b4 with no problems so I'm
confused as all get out.  Later!

=====
Dan May - Greensboro NC
1987 16V Scirocco
1979 Scirocco -D.I.Y. Paintjob Complete!
1997 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Xtracab VWHAULER
1972 Harley Davidson Rapido
http://members.aol.com/scirocco87
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Hannibal Smith