Re: [tech]timing issue?

WHY were you removing the cam?  Were you adjusting or replacing hydraulic
lifters?  You don't have to remove the cam to adjust solid lifter valves
unless you don't have the right tools, then, you shouldn't do it unless you
have the right tools!!  Anyway, pop the green plug from the tranny and align
the "V" notch up to the little tooth pointing down from the trans.  Pop off
the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing toward #1 cylinder
wire or the notch in the edge of the distributor.  Next, make sure the two
lobes on the #1 cylinder of the cam are on top making a semi flat apearance
and/or align the dot on the back of the cam gear to the edge front edge of
the cylinder head.  Once you do this, install the belt on the crank, then
the intermediate shaft, then as you pull up slightly on the front of the
belt (part facing the radiator, not the tensioner side) slip it over the cam
gear.  Tighten just enough so that you can easily twist the belt 90 deg.
Rotate the motor over by hand at least one rotation (I do two) then recheck
the marks.  If it is off a little, this is pretty normal, but if it is off a
tooth or more, then redo until it is right.  There is a process that
everyone goes through to get this to work right the first time and you will
go through yours.  I have gotten to the point where I can do a timing belt
in about 15 minutes but only after years of doing them.  Make sure the belt
isn't too loose or tight when finished.  A little tight is OK since it will
stretch some but not like a V belt and not sloppy.  Reinstall cap, plug, and
everything else you have taken apart and it should be fine.  HTH!!

Dave