How to lose an autox (or, Ben sez "told ya!")

So Ben Harder gets me fired up for Sundays autox, and after a last
minute brake bleed at my house, he notices my poly rear tranny mount.
"Dude, those things suck, get that out of there, I had a friend who had
one break" yada yada.  "Look Ben, it's been in my Cabby for 10,000
miles it's OK trust me" I replies.

So off we go.  Light turnout, ~50 cars, so we get 8 runs in two heats
(wooohooo), and after I stop sliding around like a drunk dog on ice, I
get my act together and finish the first heat leading my class (OK, so
I ran Novice, it was my 2nd time out).  Competitively, it was me vs.
two Miata's and an A2 GTI plus a bunch of also-rans.

2nd heat, first two runs were very close to my best time, I'm leading
after 6 heats, but coming in after my 6th run WTH?  Big clunk when I
accelerate.  Can't shift out of 2nd.  Look under the car, there's that
frigging red JC Whitney poly mount hanging down, ripped in two.  End of
my day.  The two Miatas ended up nipping me during the last two runs.

Damn.  I coulda been somebody.  I coulda been a contender.

To his credit Ben did all he could to NOT say "I told you so" but his
look was enough.  He did quite well, finishing mid-pack in STS against
a pretty strong field, he was the only non-Honda/Acura in his '86 16V.

Cool part was the Miatas tailed me home to make sure I made it OK.
Although I look forward to some Miata ass-whuppin next time out, these
guys are still *very* cool and great to compete and BS with.

And here I am, 40 years old at 7:00am on Monday, laying in the driveway
fixing a motor mount.  My wife and neighbors think I'm nuts, but I
couldn't be happier.  I feel 18.  Except when I have to get up off the ground!

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

Stupid is as stupid does.
-F. Gump