Re: [tech]: i'm a moron, and other ramblings (long)

--- Michael Abatzis <abatzis2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> start it up, and...guess what? same exact symptoms, noise from same
> side,
> smoke, etc.

Some smoke is expected during a first-time startup after assembly. The
noise, though...is it once/rev of crank?  Does it ever go away?  What's
your oil pressure like?  Are you sure it's not something like the
sheetmetal cover between engine and tranny?

>arrrgggh! so it would appear that i must have bent a
> valve at
> some point, and this noise is piston vs. valve?

Check the pistons on the old block, they should tell you if you've had
interference!

> 1. is there anything else that this could possibly be but something
> wrong
> with the head?

Step 1: Compression check.  WOT, disconnect boot from throttle body.

> 2. what happens if i reuse the old headgasket and bolts?

Do NOT reuse the headgasket.  You're not supposed to reuse the bolts as
they're stretch bolts.  It's tempting since they have zero miles and 10
minutes of run time, but you don't need another headache, do you?

>i'd
> like to
> have 1 of the heads p&p'd within the next 6 mos. could my old stuff
> last
> that long? this is getting expensive

Maybe, but if they don't, it'll be a lot more expensive!

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

Stupid is as stupid does.
-F. Gump