Re: speaking of new VW's

> The possibility of a 2500lb coupe in the US is even less likely.  With all
> of our government's lovely mandated safety features, plus those that are
> demanded of the current crop of consumers, you'd be looking at a car that
> weighed well over 2800 -- if not 3000lb.  Look what happened to the 1800lb
> GTI over the years.

Wait a second...  The Toyota Celica is 2550lbs or so, and 180hp.  Thats about
where a Scirocco replacement should be.  Keep it simple and light.

However, I agree, the Scirocco won't come back, at least not anytime soon.  It
doesn't fit with where VW wants to be (upmarket) in the next decade.  They seem
to be content with increasing prices while decreasing volume.  Seems odd that
the company with the two best selling vehicles of all time (Beetle, Golf) would
want to abandon what got them to where they are today.

That said, they should bring Seat over to fill in the small and sporty
categories.  The Leon Coupe seems to be a very well done car, and certainly as
close as you can get to a scirocco elsewhere in the world.  The TT is way off.