Re: speaking of new VW's

At 09:32 AM 10/31/2001, Mash wrote:

>Corrado's were in a much higher price class than
>Sciroccos. That said, while they were higher than the
>(inferior) competition of the day, they could run with
>much more expensive cars of the day (few cars could
>match the Scirocco's motor and handling).

That's true.  And to the comment that the Scirocco would be $35,000 today,
you're right, if even on the low side of things.

>I think the Scirocco 16V was a great value, I could
>have driven a 1988 Scirocco 16V off the showroom floor
>for about $12,000 in '88 - show me another car from
>that era at that price that had similar properties . .

I guess I won't break out the Comparison test I have from 1986 where the
Scirocco came in last to the Mitsubishi Cordia, Prelude, and Celica.

But in either case, VW re-launching the Scirocco is about as likely as Bin
Laden becoming a US Citizen.  Neither the Scirocco nor the Corrado were
particularly successful cars for Volkswagen.  The Corrado was a great car
but priced itself out of the market, and the Scirocco was criticized for
being based on old technology.

The possibility of a 2500lb coupe in the US is even less likely.  With all
of our government's lovely mandated safety features, plus those that are
demanded of the current crop of consumers, you'd be looking at a car that
weighed well over 2800 -- if not 3000lb.  Look what happened to the 1800lb
GTI over the years.

So enjoy yours while you can, there will never be cars like ours again.

Jason