From: 16V Jason [mailto:jason@scirocco.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 9:05 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Cc: Cory Langford
Subject: Re: Could be simple question on gear ratios..

At 11:35 AM 10/31/2001, you wrote:
>--- Cory Langford <cory.langford@icbc.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have been looking at the chart for gear ratios on the Org site and
> > am now completely confused :)
> >
> > So someone want to explain all the basics to me..
> >
> > 5th gear ranges from 1.26 to .71 <- what is this ratio to?  Is this a
> > percentage of travel or something (ie: one turn on the fly wheel =
> > .71
> > turns on the dif flange?)  Simple question: Is bigger better in this
> > ratio or is smaller better?

Hey Cory,
         Cheapass gave you a correct explaination, but I'll say it again in
different terms.

The 5th gear ratio of 0.71 means that the output of the transmission to the
differential (essentially) will turn 0.71 times for each 1 turn that comes
in.  A 0.91 gear ratio would make the output turn faster.

The final drive ratio (or ring and pinion as it's sometimes called)
multiplies this again.  So with a final drive of 3.94, the input turns 3.94
faster than the output.

To calculate the overall drive ratio, you multiply the final drive and the
gear ratio.  So with a 0.91 5th gear and a 3.94 final drive:

         3.94 x 0.91 = 3.5854.

This means that your engine turns 3.854 times for each time your wheels
turn.

When you're looking at gear ratios and trying to pick one that's best for
you (there is no "better" gear ratios, it all depends on what you're
looking for) you don't have to worry about the final drive because it's a
constant.

Essentially, the choices you have for 5th gears are listed below, and I
wrote in a few benefits of each.

0.71:  The lowest gear, meaning the lowest revs at highway speeds.  You
will almost definitely lose top speed vs. the other gears at the expense of
quiet cruising, reduced engine temperature and wear, and marginally better
fuel economy.

0.75:  The second lowest.  Your top speed will be higher than the 0.71, and
elasticity will be better (top gear passing power).  Revs will be slightly
higher than with the 0.71, and likely so will noise. Fuel economy will
probably be the same since any benefit the 0.71 would have is reduced by
forcing you to downshift into 4th more often.

0.80:  I call this the top speed gear.  For most 16V Volkswagens, this gear
will give you the highest top speed of any of the 5th gears; but that
depends on your engine's torque curve.  Revs are again higher than the
0.75, so 5th gear passing will be quicker, but fuel economy will be ever so
slightly worse.  This gear is usually the best compromise.

0.91:  The stock 16V 5th gear.  This gear is unnecessarily short, I will
never understand why VW used it.  Top speed is not as high as with the 0.80
(stock 16V motor), but passing power is considerably better.  This gear
will give you the most noise, the most engine wear, and the worst fuel
economy.

You need to pick a gear based on what is important to you -- top
speed?  elasticity?  economy/quietness?  Once you decide what's important,
use a torque curve to decide which one meets your needs the best.  If you
need help with that, don't hesitate to ask.

Jason

[Disclaimer]This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the
addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,
professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you
must not use, disclose, or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not
intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding
obligation upon GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. and/or any of its
subsidiaries or associated companies. Neither GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics
Inc. nor any of its subsidiaries or associated companies gives any
representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the
contents of this E-mail. GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. shall not be held
liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in
this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do
anything in reliance upon it.