differences between 02A/020, are they swappable???

Fellow Listers,
OK, heres my tinkering idea for the moment. What are the chances of, say,
dropping a new 6 speed vw tranny in a rocco. I know there will be headaches
getting cable shift and hydraulic clutch all connected. How about the bell
housing? will it bolt up to a 1.8 block (as in stock '87 16v)? will the
clutch/flywheel line up correctly? how about half shafts, is 100mm a thing
of the past on these trannys? we're all so used to talking with our 'old
school' numbers. is the a3/a4 stuff completely different?
If its the same, i'll be prowling junkyards and start throwing a3 drivetrain
stuff on the rieger.
Al