RE: differences between 02A/020, are they swappable???

As I am working up this swap right now I'll share my experiences.

Yes the 02A will bolt right up to the block, you need to use the larger G60
or vr6 flywheel and clutch.  Problem arise with the drivers and rear motor
mounts.  The drivers can be solved by redrilling the factory 020 mount to
make it fit, or to fabricate something.

The rear mount presents a problem, I have seen this solved by welding a
braket to a lower triangulated stressbar to form a solid mount, and also by
redrilling the 020 rear mount "crescent part" and then welding an extension
onto the rectangular piece that bolts to the undercarriage.  The third way
is to make your own part that cradles the differential housing and then
bolts to the factory mount.

As for the cable shift, you simply drill two holes into the firewall behind
the heater box for the cables and then fabricate a mount for the shifter
mechanism pretty much in the same place the stock shifter sits.  This does
create an aesthetic problem in that the factory center console cannot be
used without major alteration and the G60 or Vr6 parts just don't fit right.

The clutch is fairly easy, use the factory G60 brake fluid reserviour with
the "nipple" for the clutch master cylinder and then mount the clutch M/C to
the firewall.  You have to beef up the mount point a little and fabricate a
clevis to reach the stock Scirocco clutch pedal and drill a hole in the
stock pedal.  There is no reason to even consider monkeydicking around with
making a G60 pedal cluster fit.

Why do it with the hydro clutch instead of the manual cable kit?  Well just
look at the pics of the 1.8t MkI that was at ND and you will know.......the
clutch cable for a 02A has to make an impossible bend around the brake
booster and then some funky parts to attach to the slave cylinder.  Fellow
list members that helped the owner when his rigged cable snapped can attest
to this fact.

e-mail me for pics of various mounts and such.

The new 6 speed factory box appears to be based on the 02A case so I assume
that it can be made to fit in a similar way.

Brian H