From: Night Shadow [mailto:soltwede@privateI.com]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 12:25 PM
To: Ian Overholt
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Smog Test = GROSS POLLUTER

Well than, you guys need to keep your cars nice and warm for those tests.
Make sure your car has been running for 15-20 min before taking it to a
testing station.  Cats actually PRODUCE NO2 when they are cold and not
up to operating temperature.

PS---Just checked my last emissions test, you are incorrect sir.  Colorado
does test for NOx on their rolling dyno tests.  Catless I pass with flying
colors.  I re-iterate that a properly tuned CIS system can pass even
the tough dyno tests.

Last test on my 80 rocco, no cat:

HC .5858 (limit 4)
CO 12.8353 (limit 30)
CO2 286.2526 (no limit it seems)
NOx 1.0757 (limit 8)

Those are all in GPM (I assume grams per million?)

Oh, and they even test the damn gas cap here....California isn't the only
state with Nazi-like emissions.

Eric

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Ian Overholt wrote:

> OK you out-of-cali guys who know more about our smog checks than us!  BFG

> :)
>
> Remember that a gasoline engine produces three chemicals that contribute
> smog.  HC, CO and NOx.  As you tune a car, you can minimize two of these
> byproducts at a time while you increase the other.  You can lean the car
out
> to reduce HC and CO, but the NOx will go up.  NOx goes down as the car is
> adjusted richer, but HC and CO go up.
>
> Most states DO NOT TEST for NOx.  To my knowledge, California is the only
> state currently testing for NOx.  The visual inspection (in other states)
is
> supposed to catch cars that might be putting out too much NOx.
>
> So, bottom line.  In California if you are in an area that requires dyno
> smog checks, you have to be below the limit for HC, CO and NOx.  There is
no
> way your car will meet the limit on all three chemicals without a working
> catalytic converter.  For those of you in areas where they do not measure
> NOx, count your lucky stars because you can pass the test without a cat.
>
> Ian Overholt
> '88 16v
> '78 Champagne Edition

Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
79 Scirocco (Parts car)
80 Scirocco (Parts car)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (Katy's Daily Driver)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox

[Disclaimer]This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the
addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,
professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you
must not use, disclose, or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not
intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding
obligation upon GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. and/or any of its
subsidiaries or associated companies. Neither GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics
Inc. nor any of its subsidiaries or associated companies gives any
representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the
contents of this E-mail. GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. shall not be held
liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in
this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do
anything in reliance upon it.