RE: Anyone put MKII mirrors on a MKI?

Technically you cannot do that (remove all rear view mirrors on the
doors)
The laws of the road and the government requirements is a minimum
of 1 rear view mirror sitting on the driver side
of the car. (same rule applies to wipers, you need at least one on
the driver side if the car is equipped with two)

and you can get a good ticket for it too.

Patrick