Smog Test = GROSS POLLUTER

I went for the smog test this morning and my '81 'roc failed. It failed so
bad that it's a gross polluter.

The guy at the "test only" station said he thinks the problem is the
catalytic converter.

At 15 mph, my HP (PPM) was measured at 177. The Max. is 162.
My NO (PPM) was measured at 3148. The Max. is 1318.

At 25 mph, my HP (PPM) was 122, below the Max. of 162.
My NO (PPM) was 1800. The Max. is 1800.

The car is idling right at 900 rpm and the timing is right on. The car runs
very well since I repaired the aux air regulator this past weekend. But when
he put it on the "dyno", I could smell the fumes from my car. He tried the
test three times, so I think it was pretty much warmed up by the third test.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Does anyone out there have opinions about his cat diagnosis? I inspected
the cat a couple of years ago when I installed a tt downpipe and cat-back
exhaust. It was mostly clear, but it appear to have a few little plug-ups.
The technician today thinks it is the original cat.

2. My car was running lean when I had the aux air regulator hose problems
which burned out the Ox sensor. I replaced the Ox sensor and unknowingly
drove around with the aux air regulator hose problem for while, so I may
have burned out the new Ox sensor. Could this have happened a be the cause
of my smog problem.

3. If I replace the cat, should I replace it with one of the high-flow cats
that techtonics sells? I'll try Potterman first, of course. Do the high-flow
cats do any worse of a job because they are designed for high flow?

4. Is looking through a cat the correct way to check if it's working?

TIA,
--Theron