Re: Smog Test = GROSS POLLUTER

--- Theron Ross <ross@sanoh.com.mx> wrote:

> I went for the smog test this morning and my '81
> 'roc failed. It failed so
> bad that it's a gross polluter.
>
> The guy at the "test only" station said he thinks
> the problem is the
> catalytic converter.
>
> At 15 mph, my HP (PPM) was measured at 177. The Max.
> is 162.
> My NO (PPM) was measured at 3148. The Max. is 1318.
>
> At 25 mph, my HP (PPM) was 122, below the Max. of
> 162.
> My NO (PPM) was 1800. The Max. is 1800.
>
> The car is idling right at 900 rpm and the timing is
> right on. The car runs
> very well since I repaired the aux air regulator
> this past weekend. But when
> he put it on the "dyno", I could smell the fumes
> from my car. He tried the
> test three times, so I think it was pretty much
> warmed up by the third test.
>
> Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 1. Does anyone out there have opinions about his cat
> diagnosis? I inspected
> the cat a couple of years ago when I installed a tt
> downpipe and cat-back
> exhaust. It was mostly clear, but it appear to have
> a few little plug-ups.
> The technician today thinks it is the original cat.
>
> 2. My car was running lean when I had the aux air
> regulator hose problems
> which burned out the Ox sensor. I replaced the Ox
> sensor and unknowingly
> drove around with the aux air regulator hose problem
> for while, so I may
> have burned out the new Ox sensor. Could this have
> happened a be the cause
> of my smog problem.
>
> 3. If I replace the cat, should I replace it with
> one of the high-flow cats
> that techtonics sells? I'll try Potterman first, of
> course. Do the high-flow
> cats do any worse of a job because they are designed
> for high flow?
>
> 4. Is looking through a cat the correct way to check
> if it's working?

My only comment is this (I'm no engine tech).

I've been passing emissions tests (with gutted cats)
with flying colors since they first began the testing
here on the east coast.

A properly tuned VW burns very clean. Perhaps the cat
is clogged.

If the cat is not clogged, I would put it back in
gutted and take it to a trusted mechanic who can tune
your car "for the test".

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)