Re: i need a little advice (more accident damage found)

eric tomorrow wrote:

> i guess what i am asking is: how serious is this and would it make more
> sense to pick up another scirocco (i know where one is sitting) and
> transfer all the aftermarket stuff over to the new one and part mine out?

My car has been in the frame shop for 3 weeks+ now with very serious cracks
in the core support, and around one of the motor mounts.  Once the radiator
and AC came out of the way, the damage turned out to be even more severe
than originally diagnosed.  It was determined that just welding everything
back up, including a reinforcement plate over part of the core support, would
not be a sufficient repair.  A new core support sells for $900, if they
can even be found.. and is still a weak link.  So, in addition to the
welding and plate, a custom bar is being fabricated by Ron Wood, identical
to what he'd done for a rally car he used to own.  Net result should be
a better-than-new repair - but, at a total cost of about $1k by the time
it's all done.

I think a big factor in your situation is the cosmetic condition of your
car.  If it's a peach, repairing it probably makes sense.. if it's in
poor shape, probably makes sense to move the stuff to a new car.  If
it's somewhere in between - might be a tough call.  Good luck!

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA