gas tank q's and '77 project update

Well, the '77 project has hit an all-time low, but in a good way. Except for
the dashboard (which has the rollcage running through it), it is not
possible to remove ANY more parts from the car! That means that all progress
from here on out MUST be in a positive direction. :)

The last bits to be removed today were the rear suspension, fuel tank, and
fuel lines. It all came apart quite well. Oddly, the worst part was one of
the wheels. They must have impacted that thing on with full force about 10
years ago. It took my 6-ft cheater bar to break them loose!

I thought that the gas tank was in pretty good shape. No rust on the
outside...very clean. Even the straps look like they'll be fine to re-use.
However, after draining it I realized that it felt like a giant
Etch-a-Sketch. There's got to be 5-10lbs of rust rolling around in there!
Three questions:

1) What is the appropriate means of disposing of the gallon-or-so of nasty
gasoline that I drained?

2) What can I do about the tank? Should I just get a new one? I bought a
cleaner/sealer kit from Eastwood for it, but this is MUCH worse than I
expected. I don't even know if it is feasible to get all the crap out. It'd
take me a day of shaking to get it through one of the holes! How much does a
new tank cost?

3) There are at least four extra "breather" hoses coming off of the tank,
and there was a black box near the filler neck with the extra hoses going
into it. What do they do? Emissions? Has anybody plugged these before? I
always assumed all you had/needed were the two lines and the filler neck...

Neal