Re: gas tank q's and '77 project update

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:27:17 -0400 "Neal Tovsen"
<sixteen.volt@verizon.net> writes:
<SNIP>
> Three questions:
>
> 1) What is the appropriate means of disposing of the gallon-or-so of
> nasty gasoline that I drained?

Burn it! (in my best Bevis voice)

> 2) What can I do about the tank? Should I just get a new one? I
> bought a cleaner/sealer kit from Eastwood for it, but this is MUCH
worse than
> I expected. I don't even know if it is feasible to get all the crap
> out. It'd take me a day of shaking to get it through one of the holes!
How
> much does a new tank cost?

171 201 075Q fuel injected factory tank is close to $500.

I sell new aftermarket Mk.1 tanks for $160 delivered.

> 3) There are at least four extra "breather" hoses coming off of the
> tank, and there was a black box near the filler neck with the extra
hoses
> going into it. What do they do? Emissions? Has anybody plugged these
> before? I always assumed all you had/needed were the two lines and the
filler
> neck...
>
> Neal

You need at least one breather line, and it runs to the charcoal
canister, IIRC.
I don't think the other stuff is necessary, but I left the "black box" in
place...

HTH,
Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Discount Techtonics, Peloquin LSD,
Autotech-Quaife USA, Ronal USA, Motorworks, & Magnecor Dealer -  Bear, DE
19701
'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049, Itching For A Kamei Lip Spoiler
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco 42 133
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
Please leave feedback on http://feedbyte.com