RE: possible new acquisition - 90' Corrado G60 Q's

Let me start off by saying that even messed-up, wrecked Corrado G60's are
worth $1000. I paid $2k for one that doesn't sound much better than yours
(though the G-Ladder is rebuildable). You could part it out and make money,
or you could spend $4k-5k on it and still have a nicer car than you could
buy for $6k. However, it sounds like you might need to spend least a couple
thousand dollars to get this thing in good shape.

If the belt on the G-Lader is broken, you'll probably need a new one. If it
can be rebuilt, it will cost you AT LEAST $6-800 to rebuild it - more like
$1000. A new one will be...well let's just say it is more than a rebuild!
You also have other choices. You can simply make it a nice-looking 95hp,
low-compression n/a 8v (yeah, it's SLOW, but it runs and it's cheap!). Or,
you could put a turbo kit or an aftermarket Eaton/Lysholm/whatever
supercharger on it. Any of those will cost a couple grand, too.

The second issue is what happened to all the pieces of the supercharger when
it blew up. If metal went into the engine, you'll need a head rebuild. Even
if metal didn't go into the engine, you'd better make sure you find all the
G-Ladder's apex strips, or they'll do as much damage as metal. Take off the
intercooler and all the piping, and clean the hell out of it. You might even
consider a new intercooler. Then, if you didn't find any metal or other bits
after the intercooler, you could try seeing how it runs...

You said the interior is in good shape, which is a MAJOR BONUS. If the
interior is nice, the windows and sunroof work, and you only have to
concentrate on the suspension/engine, I'd say you've got a great head-start.

Another nice thing about the '90 is that it is the only year without that
horrible ABS system. That saves you a TON of money right there!

So, it all depends on what you call a "money pit". I call a car a money pit
when I get tons of unexpected bills. Corrados are very expensive compared to
Sciroccos, but it's expected. Spending $3k on fixing up a Scirocco is looney
(a lot of us are doing it anyway!). But, like I said, a good G60 Corrado
will cost you $5k easily. If you *plan* to spend at least three or four
grand on this car, it could be a great car and cost less than a good C
should. It is all in your perspective.

And if you need any parts, let me know. :) And if you decide not to buy it,
I know someone who might be interested, especially if it is black.

Neal