Re: removing exhaust recommendations..

On Mon, 08 Oct 2001 16:23:06 -0500 Robert piwonka
<tpiwonka@TTACS.TTU.EDU> writes:
> I have  a rattle in my muffler (either its falling apart or the nut
> that I dropped down it when putting on my downpipe did not get all the
way
> through)

When you get the midpipe off, hook up a shop vac to the tailpipe, that's
how I got my loose nut out.

> and when trying to remove it, it will spin in circles however it
> will not slide off the mid pipe.
>
> The system has only been on for like 8 months.  I tried heating it
> wtih a torch but to no avail, and i don't want to damage anything.
>
> Any recomendations?
>
> Robert Piwonka

Remove the clamp, as you rotate the midpipe, push up at the
downpipe/midpipe joint, there will be a small amount play, work that
play, as you twist the midpipe. Spraying PB Blaster at the joint, as you
continue tomanipulate the midpipe, the play in the joint should increase,
and you should be able to eventually pull the exhaust off in a twisting
motion.
It might be difficult to get leverage laying on your back, a lift or
grease pit would make it much easier.

It will probably help to free the hanger brackets, so that you can move
the exhaust more freely.

IIRC, you bought a TT race DP, and TT SS exhaust from me, and if the
muffler is bad, don't forget it has a lifetime warranty.

HTH!

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Discount Techtonics, Peloquin LSD,
Autotech-Quaife USA, Ronal USA, Motorworks, & Magnecor Dealer -  Bear, DE
19701
'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco 42 133
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
Please leave feedback on http://feedbyte.com