MK1 Lean/Rich and vaccum lines? MK1

Now that i have my mk1 running AND driving, i am looking to clean up some of
the little drivability issues that it looks like it is and will be having.

I had a stripped car, and an engine from a different car to deal with...
when i put the engine in, i just kinda hooked up vaccum lines ramdomly... is
there any special order that say the advance on the distributor is supposed
to be in?  OR does it not matter where the lines go as long as they go into
something that has vaccum?

The other thing is that when i gas it really hard, it barfs out BLACK BLACK
smoke!  Not burning oil blue.. since the engine has about 4k miles on it...
so i think this means it is running too lean or too rich... If so.. what is
what, how do i tell if its lean or rich, and how do i remedee the problem?
I havent taken the car out on a good road to test drive it, just on my dirt
road so i dont know how much power if any this might be affecting.

Providing there is no snow on the ground.. I am hoping to get this car to
dyno day on the 20th so it would be cool if i could be certan that it would
not s**t the bed on the way out to rochester and back ;)  Thanks

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'87 Scirocco 16v (muh baby!)
'81 Scirocco S (Multi colored project car)
'81 Scirocco S (12 pack rocco)
'80 Scirocco S (only the rear half)
'64 Sunroof Beetle (livin' a new life)
'93 Nissan Pathfinder SE V6 (winter beater..rice Rice RIIIIIICE!)
****
ICQ# 91932895
AIM Username: xscirocco16vx
My web page (work in progress!)