Re: Oil question

Isidro lepez wrote:

> I've been told that changing the grade of my oil from
> 10w 30 to 5w 50 will quiet engine noise.  Is this
> true?  Also, does the other grade work as well as the
> 10w 30 grade?

You running 10w30 in what kind of weather/ temps?

Since it's getting to be Autumn now a thinner oil than 20w50 might be in
order but since I live in California (and near the coast at that) I
rarely see freezing temps, even in the dead of winter.

Point is, 10w30 sounds too thin to me.

I have been reluctant to go with such wide spread like 5w50. Better to
pick a range that matches your outside temps and err a little on the
thick side.

I run 15w50 Mobil 1 as a rule, year round. If your running regular dino
oil you might go w/ some decent brand 20w50.

TBerk