Cooling fan question

I had I problem with the cooling fan running which I
was able to fix by keeping it unplugged for a while
then I plugged it back in and it doesn't run so I keep
it in.  Then smoke started comming behind the engine
block.  Well today I was playing with the ac Switch
with the key in but not having the car on and the fan
turned on from the AC Switch but in the vents nothing
was comming out.  Anyone know why

=====
-Andrew
1984 Black Scirocco(stock)