RE: Cooling fan question

If I understand this correctly you had :

1) originally a radiator fan problem
2) now this problem seems resolved but you had a smoke from rear of
engine(near firewall?)
3) you turn on contact and set selector to A/C and radiator fan
comes on (this is normal and good.)
   but your fresh air blower does not function.

if I understand your problem correctly, my deduction would be:

your fresh air blower (situated in your rain tray under that big
black plastic inverted bowl) has
a) blow the resistor
b) burnt motor on the fresh air blower

in either case, this to take the said plastic bowl in your rain
tray (2 parts) and accessible without having to remove dash, but
have to find 3 bolts under dash to remove the plastic components
from ran tray, and this will permit to examine the resistor (if
burned out you will smell it right away (like a computer burned out
component) and if the fresh air blower is burned the motor will not
turn at all if you plug 12v power directly to the proper contacts,
or the axle of the motor will not turn at all by hand.

g'luck

Patrick