Shift Linkage

Todays problem.  I was going to finally put in my ball ends and lower
stress bar today.  I found out the low grade bits that came with my
drill got dull in about a minute.  I went and got a cobalt bit which
worked great, but I had used up most of my juice of my cordless drill
with the dull bit, so I needed to recharge.  While I was waiting, I put
in the last bushing for my shift linkage (the one in a metal bracket
that is bolted to the frame with two bolts).  I got it all in, got the
juiced battery, bolted the new drivers side ball end in ( I'll get the
other side this week).  I pull away and I've got no 1st or 2nd!  What do
I need to do?  I was sure that I put the same amount of shaft (hush your
mouth)  in the holder.  That seemed to be the only thing I moved.  A 10
minute fix would make me happy - Thanks