RE: VW and Women [new vw owners]

Hehehe...you see, the majority of the women out there aren't interested in
the mechanicals of these cars...however some do love how fun they are to
drive...

Case in point:  I met Katy (who I have been together with for 2 years now
almost to the day) because she was selling her 1981 Scirocco S.  They car
was becoming mechanically un-reliable and she was afraid that it would
strand her.  Cars was in great shape, but would have needed a clutch soon.
But, because she got the typical "dumb girl" crap from mechanics when she
asked questions, she never really learned how simple these cars are to
understand and fix.  She didn't want to sell the Scirocco, but felt she
should to be safe.

Now, we are building her 91 Cabriolet together, she
knows the mechanicals almost as well as I do, and loves working on the car
and learning.  I love watching the surprised looks on the mechanics faces
when she starts talking bout what she has learned.

Now, because of all this, actually learning how easy these cars are, and
have owned one before, she really doesn't like my New VW (the Golf).
Brakes are too sensitive, steering wheel doesn't give any feedback...etc.
You see, she learned to drive on a Scirocco, which as she says, "It talks
to you (the scirocco), the Golf quiets everything and you can't tell whats
going on." (Though I do have to mention, she loves the "oomph" from the
TDI...)

So I guess the moral is here, if more women drove VWs as their first cars,
and mechanics didn't treat women like dummies, we would have alot more VW
enthusiasts in this world...

Eric

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, dan wrote:

> I have to chime in here....
>
> I don't think the majority of them are *enthusiasts* such as ourselves. AND
> those are probably newer VWs too. My wife wanted a 2000 Jetta, could I talk
> her into a cheaper and COOLER VW?   HELL NO. She is NOT a VW enthusiast even
> though we own 3 VWs. Most of the owners of these newer VWs don't even know
> what a Scirocco is. They might as well be driving a Honda or Toyota
> Corolla....it's 4-wheels and a reliable drive train.
>

> $.02
>
> Dan
> '81 Rabbit Sport Truck
> '87 16v Scirocco
> '00 Jetta
> Tam-pa, FL

Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
79 Scirocco (Parts car)
80 Scirocco (Parts car)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (Katy's Daily Driver)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox