beginning the 2.0 swap - to balance or not to balance....? (long)

...that is the question.

Just picked up my 2.0 shortie yesterday (thx Ben
Patterson) with only 20k on it. From what I've been
reading, and I've only been back in the land of
Sciroccos for a couple of months (have owned 4 A1s and
one Conv. Rabiit), the way to go is to balance. But I
wonder if I should just leave well enough alone - the
block is relatively new. And if I do crack into the
block to balance, should I raise the compression?
Over-bore?

Truth be told, I want the car to be lively, yet
reliable (it's tough to compare to my E30 M3 (which is
for sale)). And as much as I would like to do the work
myself (from an enjoyment AND cost standpoint), I just
can't envision myself with that kind of time.

So, if i have to spend just to get the block installed
(not to mention all the goodies - intake cam, fuel
box, exhaust, clutch), I don't see how I can afford to
do all that stuff to the block...

Does anyone know people in the Bay Area who are
particularly inclined to do the balancing (good vs.
reasonably inexpensive)? And what are everyone's
recommendations/experiences with the 2.0 swap?

I'd really appreciate the feedback - thx, JT