RE: smog check fun

It must suck to live in a State that is so anal about
making changes to your car. And as far as I could tell
when I lived in California the air was no better in
the country then here in the suburbs of Dallas, and
the larger metro areas just flat out sucked when it
came to pollution. Seems like all that work involved
in "California emissions" is one fat waste of time and
money, I feel bad for you guys.

Here in Texas most counties could care less about
emissions, but Dallas county does test and it really
depends on where you go because many stations are not
that thorough. My Scirocco passed emissions with a
gutted cat, nine month old gas(slightly diluted with
some fresh gas), and of course having sat in the
garage for nine months it probably was still burning
off junk in the engine/exhaust. Of course the HC
reading was a bit high at 179 at idle, but the
standard in Texas is HC 220 or less, CO 1.20 or less,
Dilution >6.0%. They could not give a rats ass if you
have your car modified though, as long as you pass the
above specs, horn works, brakes work, signals work,
and your stupid gas cap passes, then your good to go.
My Brother lives in the next county over and his
inspection consists of brakes, signals, horn, that's
it. Texas does not even check headlight alignment
anymore.

Later...