From: Curt Voss [mailto:curtv@eudoramail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 11:08 AM
To: list; ethos101
Subject: Re: smog check fun

When I smogged my "new" '81 Rabbit pickup a few months ago the first place
failed it because they decided it was a Federal vehicle which is supposed to
have an EGR valve, but mine has an O2 sensor a la California emissions for
that year. The second place also decided it was Federal but passed it. Both
of them apparently decided it was Federal because of the sticker under the
hood - which came with the round-headlight radiator support that someone
replaced - which is from a diesel!

As far as I can tell, even here in Smog II land most of those guys just go
through a checklist to see if you have the required equipment and won't
catch any mods that aren't glaringly obvious. They've never caught on to the
1.8L in my '82, or its original 1.7L that's now in my '78 Rabbit. They might
spot an 8- vs. a 16-valve, but since your '88 came with both, I'm sure they
just decided that it came with the 8v. You might have trouble with your '80
since they won't have any listing for a 16-valve in that year.

---
'86 Scirocco 8V, soon to be sold
'82 Scirocco 1.8 8v - the daily driver
'81 Caddy
'78 Rabbit 1.7L rustbucket in semi-retirement
'86 Celica GTS
'02 PT Cruiser - the wife's boat

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:03:37   ethos101 wrote:
>I dont know if this is common place or not,but today I took my 88 "mongrel"
>to get smogged and it failed because the idle was higher than spec.Passed
>everything else.Even the gas cap integrity test.Mildly interesting part is
>that the car donated its 16v motor to my 80 which donated its stock 1.6 to
>the 88.This apparently didnt matter as the "tech" never looked at the
number
>on the block.Anybody else ever had this happen? Just so you know the
>emissions were way under the limit.Also ,the reason I built this thing was
>for my friend who needed a cheap car.Is big brother gonna  get me?
>(California BTW) or can I rely on their continued  ineptness?

Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail
account at http://www.eudoramail.com