Re: Help! R134 is the pits (hope you're not too sick of this topic!)

R134 works just fine - I converted my Rabbit diesel and it'll freeze
me out on the infamous 100 degree/100 percent humidity Washington DC
summers.

>From your description, it sounds like your cars are running excessive
pressure which probably means that the systems are overcharged.  2
1/2 lbs per system sounds like alot of freon - IIRC, my '65 Caddy (as
in Cadillac not VW Pickup) held that much!!  Your best solution,
while not the cheapest, is to goto an R12/R134 certified repair
station to fully evacuate and then refill your a/c system.

--- Curt Voss <curtv@eudoramail.com> wrote:
> Once again with the R134 stuff... I'm sorry if this topic is
> getting old. I converted two cars last weekend: an '86, and an '82
> that I swapped an '86 a/c system into. I drove the '82 to work on
> Monday and the '86 on Tuesday. It got up to about 100 degrees each
> day, and in the afternoon both of them were running really hot
> cruising down the freeway at 65 mph in 5th gear with the a/c on.
> Not hot enough to activate temp lights but enough to ping when I
> stepped on the gas.  The a/c's were barely cooling, I'd guess the
> output from the vents was around 70-80 degrees. almost useless.
> Turn the a/c off, and temp gauges dropped to normal in a few
> minutes. This morning I drove the '82 in with the a/c on all the
> way - darn near froze myself and had no overheating problems
> whatsoever. So it appears that I can only use the a/c as long when
> I don't need it... :D
>
> Seems like I've seen a number of posts from people who have
> converted and have been happy with it... can anyone think of
> anything I might have done wrong that would cause this? In the '82
> I replaced all the seals, compressor oil, and receiver/dryer; for
> the '86 I used the Autozone kit with the oil/o-ring conditioner
> that you don't have to open the system to do. I charged both up in
> my driveway with the cheapo Autozone kit. The low- and high-side
> system pressures in the '82 were in high end of the ranges listed
> on the generic spec sheet that came with the kit. I could only
> check the low side on the '86, it was also in the high end of the
> range. I didn't pay much attention to the amount of refrigerant I
> used since I was measuring the pressure with a gauge, but best I
> recall I used about 2-1/2 cans in each.

=====
Matthew