Re: RC134 conversion question

Thanks everybody that replied on this. As it turns out, different kits work different ways. I did two cars over the weekend, the first one I used a kit from CarQuest that had just o-rings, oil, and service ports, and that one required the valve cores to be removed or the new service ports wouldn't go on. The second one I used the "closed-system" kit from AutoZone and it required the valve cores to stay in, fortunately I only lost a couple of ounces of refrigerant figuring that out... :D  The high-side service port in that one didn't fit so I could only check the system pressure on the low side but it seemed to work okay. Both felt pretty wimpy compared to R12 though. It's supposed to get up to almost 100 here today so I should get a chance to test it for real on the way home.

---
'86 Scirocco 8V, soon to be sold
'82 Scirocco 1.8 8v - the daily driver
'81 Caddy
'78 Rabbit 1.7L rustbucket in semi-retirement
'86 Celica GTS
'02 PT Cruiser - the wife's boat