[tech] 16v Compression Test Results = Bad News!

List,
  I was over at Daun Yeagley's today and he had borrowed a
really nice compression tester...so we decided to do a test
on my '86 1.8 16v w/ 140k miles.  Here are the disturbing
results:

Cylinder #1: 150
Cylinder #2: 148
Cylinder #3: 102
Cylinder #4: 145

Another interesting bit is that when I removed the plugs, the
spark plug on cylinder #3 was much whiter than the other plugs.
(was that cylinder running lean due to the low comp. reading?)
The other plugs were just slightly black-ish.

So, I was thinking that I should have the engine looked at
and have a more thorough test done to determine if I have a
ring or valve issue.  Any other suggestions?
TIA!

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v