Re: winter/ warming up/Scirocco

"Fry, Larry" wrote:

> Even though I do this, too, my manual gives explicit instructions NOT TO!
> Even says to "be ready to drive off immediately upon starting."   Anyone
> have any theories why this is?
>
> Larry  sandiego16V
>
> Randy and Patrick wrote:
> I usually let the car warm up for 1-3min max and was on my way.
>
> > humm I am in montreal and I just let my car run on idle for 15mins with
> fan

(with a tip o' the hat to RandyB)

Well, Here's me thinks on it.

- Warm motor + Cold Trans & Running Gear = Not Good.

- Cold motor w/ oil up in the head and driving gently = A Good Thing.

- Cold Motor w/ oil in pan & none in head and foot heavy on gas = A Bad
Thing.

- Short-time warm up to get oil moving is what you want, car driving
gently to get a slight load on motor is what you want, transaxle and
bearings getting a slow start off is what you want, driving like you
have an egg under you foot until the coolant begins to get in to the low
zone, yeah- that's the ticket.

There ya go,
TBerk