RE: Roll Cage rules ?

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Neal Tovsen wrote:

> Cool!!! Good luck!
>
> Just asking...
> Have you considered whether or not you really want a cage? If you want it
> for track days and so forth, go for it...safety is never bad! OTOH, if it is
> a *dedicated* SM car, safety isn't too much of an issue. Then, you should
> think about the trade-off between the stiffness a cage offers and the weight
> penalty it carries. In my case, a mk1 Scirocco, I could probably still be
> under the weight minimum even with a cage (and either way the decision was
> made for me). In your case, a mk2 Scirocco, you might want to think about
> that a little more...

Hmm, well, ah, here is my theorizing for what its worth.

I am building this car because i always wanted a rocco that went as fast
as it looked :) since i cant drive it like that on the street, at least
not and stay out of jail much, i decided that the new SM category fit the
bill. I also plan on going to every track school type day I can, but since
track schools are few and far between i decided to go for SM as another
competitive class. our track here is pretty fast, so the thought of going
balls out with no cage kinda scares me (gateway international
raceway) here is a map, i think the road course follows the infield track,
and then does 1/2 of a daytona style oval! (though i'd hope they throw in
a chicane or two for amateur day.)

http://www.gatewayraceway.com/html/oval_facility_map.html

Also, A1's are notoriously floppy, it would seem like the stiffening a
cage offers would offset any weight penalty it might impose... any ideas
on that one?

Basically, i'm a gearhead, and once I get this monster done I want to have
a place to run it where I might  have a snowballs chance of being
competitive if I learn how to drive :) (or at least to embarass porsches
at track school..)

take care,

Steve