RE: 88' getting very bad gas mileage

     I can't imagine that a dying alternator would kill your mileage like that,
but it certainly could be the cause of your gauge being bit on the wonky side.
     Have you checked to make sure the gas tank isn't leaking?  I ask because
there was a recall on Sciroccos for gas tanks that could develop seam leaks.  I
took mine in to get it done, no charge for the replacement (as an interesting
note, they also busted the brake lines removing the tank, so they replaced those
free as well) about 1 year ago.  A leaky tank would probably look a lot like
you were burning more gas than you should, and if you never park indoors, it
would be pretty easy to miss.  Especially because it could very possibly only
leak until the residual fuel pressure was released (that's what mine was
doing).  By the time you came back to it after parking it, all the leaked fuel
is evaporated leaving no evidence of the problem.
     Just a thought.  There are probably as many ways for your mileage to go to
hell as there are people to tell you about them.  How's it running?  Does it
seem to lack power?  Any noticeable changes in the idle?  Any of those things
would point to engine problems that could cause lousy gas consumption.
     Good luck.

Cheers,
Colin