RE: HELP!@# my rocco's frame is cracked bad :( I need a clean low mileage reasonably cheap A1 shell of any sort!

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Fry, Larry wrote:

> Sometimes the recast portion(the "weld") can be even stronger, depending on
> the filler material used, but even then, the heat-affected zone (parent
> material immediately adjacent to the weld) usually will NOT be, unless the
> entire structure goes through a carefully-controlled heat treatment.  This
> means temperatures held to +-10 degrees F for up to several hours.
Hmm,

In general, I though gas welding produced a weld less likely to have
brittle areas in adjacent "parent" materials, or the weld itself.

In othjer words, due to the slow heat cycle of gas, the process is self
annealing, but with arc, due to the quick heat cycle, the welds tend to
end up brittle?

I'm not an expert by any means, and am looking forward to learning
something :)

take care,

Steve