Re: 220hp? [All this carb crap]

At 9:36 AM -0500 11/15/01, Jason wrote:
>>>Well, for starters, ask Riley. With almost 180hp at the motor, his
>>>car wasn't all that streetable.  My guess is that 220 wouldn't
>>>either.
>>
>>Actually Jay, it was pretty streetable.
>
>However, you wound up ditching the psycho cams for less aggressive
>cams (and ultimately less horsepower) why? ;)

Mainly to do with emissions, fuel economy, and the desire to see what
the whole "asymmetrical camset" hype was about.  The bottom line here
is the definition of streetable.  Some people think streetable means
meaty torque curve down low, great fuel economy, and smooth idle.
Almost anything  you do to a stock motor would therefore compromise
streetability.  On the other end of the spectrum we have somenoe who
thinks the 276es are streetable because they run on pump gas.  It all
depends on what you're wiling to put up with... but I maintain, and
I'm sure Shannon will back me on this, the 276 cam set does not make
the car "undriveable", or a "gutless wonder".  If you're into peak
horsepower and peaky curves, it's the only game in town.

>Could you imagine what the car would be like under 5k with cams &
>other modifications to make it pump out 40 more horsepower than
>that!?

More fun? ;)