Re: bloody old bits breaking...

Not only to retain the tumblers but the cylinder won't come out unless you
pull all the tumblers out before you take it out.  Really simple, stick key
in, pull out cylinder.  Install in reverse order!!  When you do this kind of
stuff remember that the tumblers are marked with a number and to look at the
tumblers before you reinstall them and make sure they aren't really worn.  I
believe the numbers/order of the tumblers correlates with the codes for
making the keys!  HTH!!

Dave

P.S. Newer door handles suck!!

> >I never had them fall out myself,but i took some handles at the junk yard
> > and i could pull the tumblers out of the cylinder.......   :)
>
> I have done this several times, it seems to be a common VW failure.  (My 4
door Jetta has 3 new door handles!)

> Bentley suggests having the key in the lock cylinder when removing it.  I
think this is to retain the tumblers when you pull it out.