Re: synthetic and conventional oil question

Shawn C Meze wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:06:24 -0500 "Aaron Ness" <aaron@makuta.com>
> writes:
> >Is it switching that actually causes the leaks?  I thought it was just
> >that
> >the synthetics seem to have an easier time "finding" your leaks, so
> >they tend to leak more.
> >
> >Aaron
>
> Thats exactly it, Aaron.
>
> Shawn Méze
> Best Hot Tub Model in ALL of San Diego! <Edited by TBerk>

To add a cherry on the top of this well smoke horse of a thread;

- If you get a preowned car you have no idea how much gunk is in there.
- Old Dino oils left behind lots of gunk compared to today.
- Early Synth didn't have gasket 'softeners' like today's products,
hence gasket shrinkage and;
- Synth has lots of detergents as well as better penetrating power than
conventional oil.

All adds up to bad rap based on the 1st batch of Synthetics, today's
name brands are less likely to cause trouble.

hth,
TBerk