Heater/vents/ and defrost

Ok, go easy on me.  I JUST got this 87 scitocco for $600 and although to
many the scirocco is a toy, some even race them I have to use mine for
transporation.  (those interested can see it at
http://www.tekworxonline.com/monster/car/index.html )
I have this ANNOYING little feature (among several that I need help with) of
the vents ALWAYS blowing air along with the defrost in any mode.  this isnt
just a little air, this is like the flaps arent working.  When in HEAT mode
(temp can either be blue or red doesnt matter) the actuator can be seen
working and the flap door for the heater works.  Heat now comes from the
floor vents BUT the air still is comming through the vents and defroster.
In DEF mode the air still comes through the vents.  I have been talking to a
tech in Dallas and he said either the vacuum distribution valve is bad (I
wouldnt doubt it) or both vacuum actuators are bad.  Last night I saw them
working but the double acutator that operates the heater flap doesnt go up
far enough to "seal" orr the air to the defrost.
SO.. I need your help.  Do I need to get all new vacuum actuators AND the
distribution valve?
I mean shutting off the center vents is a good way of no heat in the face
but what about the defrost?
Help please?
John