RE: suspension pros & cons

     Having just done the suspension on my 'Rocco, I found the biggest
difference is price.  Coilovers cost about 1.5 times as much and may or may not
represent a substantial improvement over standard coils and springs depending
on details.  I put on Neuspeed Sport (dropped it about 1 1/2 inches) and KYB
GR2 struts.  I also replaced the upper strut bearings, ball-joints, tie-rod
ends, control arm bushings, etc.  All 4 corners completely done for under $1000
(CDN).  Just the coil-overs (decent ones) would have run me around $1400.
     Coilovers are effectively struts and springs with a moveable lower spring
seat (although I'm sure someone will correct me if that's too simplistic).  If
your car spends time both on street and track, coilovers are probably not a bad
choice.  If you just want to drop the thing a couple inches, get the best
springs and struts you can afford that give you the drop you want.  It will
still be substantially cheaper than good coilovers and the performance will be
fine.
     Don't buy the super cheap special coilovers.  If you need coilovers, you
need to spend the money to get good ones.  If you don't frequently need to
change the characteristics of the set-up (height, corner balance, etc) you
don't need coilovers.
     Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Colin