Re: My new 80

--- Kervin Ridgley <kervinridgley@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> I just got a MKI!  123,000 miles with a bunch of
> bolt ons.
>
> Here are some of the problems.  Rust.  I don't know
> what terminal rust
> really looks like, but this car has rust at the
> bottom of the back
> windows, at the door sills when you open the door
> and behind the rear
> wheels.  It also is musty inside so there is some
> other leak too. (No
> sunroof).  Currently this car turns over, but
> doesn't run.
>

> The car is mine, but I need to figure out what to do
> with it.  I want to
> give my nephew his first car.  I could give him this
> one or I have a 82
> 1.7 sitting at my parents house that needs a new
> head (which is sitting
> in my living room), a muffler of some type, a side
> mirror and one turn
> lens.  Which one should I give to him?

Before you give it to anyone, take out the seats and
pulll up the carpet and padding underneath and find
out how long water has been there and how long (it
will be evident).

Then, put the car up on ramps and study the underbody
front to rear . . .

Then you'll have a better idea if the rust is
"terminal" or not . . .

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)