RE: Starting 16v while pressing gas

I am not sure this would make any difference on the 8v as of 82 the 8v cars
had cataytic converters and O2 sensors.

I used to have this problem with mine, it turned out to be a number of
things, timing was off by a few teeth forward, the advance (ie: distributor)
was retarded some 9' , my mixture (CO2) was lean, the O2 sensor was
unplugged,

I redid the Timing and adance and O2 myself, and it almost started properly,
I got the timing checked (don't have a strobe gun - was only 4' forward on
advance, not bad for advance by ear..), I got the Co2 adjusted by VW Tech I
trust (been doing Aircooled/Water cooled engines for 21 years) and after
adjusting the richness/co2 , it now runs like a new car.

A Texan Scirocco = Patrick Bureau
Http://longcoeur.com/scirocco
1985 8v Prowler Orange GTX/Kamei Project
AIM: Patricdlc, ICQ 32918816, MSN: patricdlc@hotmail.com

=========Michael Abatzis
i'd guess maybe you risk initially running it really rich, damaging cat or
o2 sensor?