Now what... (more crap with cars not starting)

Great.  Now the "sold" Passat won't start either.
(Actually this has been an intermittent problem the last
week or so as well.)  If I can't get this thing running
right, and soon, then a certain other lister may not be
getting a new red 16v 'rocco.

Cold start vavlve operates.  I'm getting spark (I think a
little weak but...   replaced coil and didn't help), and
after cranking several times I can smell fuel.

I can't explain the deep feeling of defeat I have tonight -
no matter what I've done in the last two weeks, I rarely
have *one* of my cars running at a time, sometimes none of
them.